My #oneword2012 is UNPLUG. This might be shocking to most who know me, so let me explain.
Whether it be for work, or for personal use, I am always connected. I love the accessibility both my iPhone and iPad afford me. I can readily access emails, social networks, news, video, etc. I also spend a lot of time in front of the television or playing my XBOX 360, which is my most frequent form of stress relief. Somewhere along the way of increasing my social media network and gadget use, I got too caught up in constantly being plugged in. In 2012, I need to unplug a bit and do some other things that are important to me. Here are some things I plan to do instead….
- Exercise more – 2012 WILL be the year I take back my health
- Spend more unplugged time with my wife and our dog
- Reconnect with old friends
- Travel to places (near and far) by taking road trips
- Spending more time outdoors and exploring new hobbies
- Reading more – I have accumulated many books I have been meaning to read and unplugging will help me to do it.
Don’t get me wrong, I will continue to be connected to my social media network, will continue learning about social media and technology, continue to work on my blog, and yes will play an occasional video game or two. However, I will be more focused and intentional than I had been in the past, so I can make time in my life for other important things, such as those mentioned above.
What will your #oneword2012 be?